Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Calm Before the Storm (Graduation Part 1)

Last few days in dorm!

     After four years at CMU, this ending feels far more momentous.  This year I'm not just writing those last essays, cramming for exams, cleaning out my dorm room and saying a quick goodbye to friends.  This year I'm actually graduating.
     Students began to thin out last week as exams ended. The past few days have felt like a long goodbye, as all of us in residence pack up to return to our respective homes and our summer jobs.  After my last exam, I was in no rush to leave.  There were a few days to rest up.  Although I guess you couldn't say it was restful, as it involved late nights with others, watching movies, and unwinding.  I was counting down to graduation weekend, which is much more than just the convocation service where we receive our degrees.  There are events all weekend for the graduates.  
     The Friday Grad Gala, for instance.  This is an internal celebration allowing everyone to say goodbye to those who are leaving.  The formal dinner was an enjoyable time where we joked about the past year and talked about our plans for the summer.  Deanna Zantingh, a third year student, gave a speech for the grads comparing the graduating class in all its diversity to keys on a keyboard, each person with their own talents, gifts, and journey.  "Just remember," she said as she wrapped up her speech, "that as you go out from here the control key is God's."
     There was no way I was going to bed at a respectable time that night.  I stayed up late enjoying the run of the campus with a few others.  Saturday featured two more events: the "In Gratitude" performances and the Spring Concert.
    This first event allowed grads to say "thank-you" to CMU and talk their academic experiences.  A common theme that I picked out from the speeches was that the professors' individual and genuine interest in students had helped them succeed in their studies.
    The Spring Concert in the evening included all the choirs, the jazz band, and the guitar ensemble.  There were Latin songs and worship music as well as some really wacky pieces.  The Chamber Choir's "wasps" piece was punctuated by the incessant swatting of imaginary wasps all around the performers.  It was an entertaining show.
     After the performance, I ambled back to South Campus.  Snack time was set to music on this, my last evening in residence.  Coffee was sipped, good conversations were had, and I couldn't help thinking about how much I will miss dormitory life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment